Translate

Friday, July 13, 2012

Amazon reviews #5


2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars My all-time favorite book.January 27, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Desiree (Hardcover)
I first read this book in junior high. I found it the section of the library that no one goes to. It was also the "fattest" book I'd ever read and became a book I love. Desiree seems to come alive when I read and I become her. This book is so romantic, so colorful and full of adventure. I was so excited when I saw the movie. It seemed that the images in my head had come to life! I learned more from this book about this time in history than from my history class! I need this book badly. Many times I've been tempted to steal it from the library. Yikes!
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No


1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Historical FictionDecember 16, 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Desiree (Hardcover)
I first read this book when I was in grade school in Miami, Florida, and was totally enthralled by it. I then managed to see the Marlon Brando movie on TV as a child, and that made the book come even more alive to me. I have continued my interest in European History throughout the years,eventually joined the U.S. State Department and was posted in Italy. Because of the fact that I married an Italian national, and needed to stay in Italy, I left the State Department and have been working as an Officer of the United Nations at the Food and Agriculture Organization in Rome since 1986. I have continued with my love of European History, have purchased the Marlon Brando movie, as well as the 1953 Selinko book, and even have an oil portrait of Marie Louise of Austria (Napoleon's second wife) hanging in my living room.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No


19 of 19 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Desiree, by Annemarie SelinkoNovember 24, 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Desiree (Hardcover)
Five years ago, my grandmother, knowing I enjoyed history, bought this book for me at a garage sale for 50 cents. At first I was a little skeptical, the book was battered and it smelled musty but I read it anyway. I'm glad I did, it certainly has been one of the most influential books in my life, causing me to pursue an odd interest in Napoleon thus causing me to study history in college. Recently, I stumbled across a webpage a woman had written dedicated to this book. In her page she told about the original German text of Selinko's work she had found in her Seattle, Wa Public Library that had several passages not printed in the American version. I would love to see both versions printed again, at least so I can retire my old worn copy and have one without the pages falling out.. and then maybe find out what happened in the German.

No comments:

Post a Comment