Translate

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

There are a lot of Amazon reviews....


5.0 out of 5 stars DesireeJanuary 21, 2002
By 
Melanie Gonzalez (Omaha, Ne. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desiree (Hardcover)
My boss first told of this book that she fell in love with when she was a teenager. She happened to get a copy and lent to me to read. I could not put this book down. It captured my attention and I can not forget this book. I love this book and I can recall every detail. I hope to find a copy for myself. I hope that this book will be reprinted because I would like my children to read this when they get older. I am truly greatful to my boss for turning me on to this book.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No


6 of 7 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars It began my love of historyApril 18, 2001
By 
Sarah Granger (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)   
This review is from: Desiree (Hardcover)
I am in my late 40's. I first read this book when I was thirteen, and shortly thereafter bought a copy that I still have and that I read many times throughout my teens. I was so taken with Desiree that I began searching in the history section of my library - pulling every book about Napoleon and searching the indexes for references to Desiree and Julie. And then I began reading those book on Napolean. Now I have an extensive library of historical biography of French, British and Russian leaders, writers, artists, etc. I trace my love of history back to when I first opened this book and history became alive in a way I could relate to. I loved this book.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No


5.0 out of 5 stars History made enjoyable...December 6, 2000
By 
Esperanza Martinengo (Deerfield Beach, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desiree (Hardcover)
I'm 42 years old. I'm originally from Caracas, Venezuela. I read this book when I was 14 years. It is a Spanish version that belonged to my grandmother. It was printed in Buenos Aires, Argentina in 1954. I have read it maybe 20 more times. It's my favorite book, and Desiree has been my favorite character ever. Recently I went to Paris and thought that maybe there it would be easier to find a copy, but nobody seemed to know what I was talking about. That's is why I'm hoping that Amazon can get a copy for me, I want to give it to my sister. It can be in Spanish, English or French. I have read all the reviews and I think everybody feels the same about this wonderful book.The copy I have is one of my most beloved treasures.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No


1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Family Love AffairSeptember 1, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Desiree (Hardcover)
The original book was my mother's and luckily I ended up with her copy. I am now looking for copies for my 3 sisters since they are always trying to borrow mine. I'm afraid I won't get my book back if I lend it to one of them. All 4 of us read this book as teenagers and all 4 of us loved it. The story of Desiree Clary and Napoleon ignited a love of history in all of us and turned us into avid readers. While the ending is not as detailed as the rest of the book if you're like us you will be researching to find out what happens in Desiree's life and family after the end of the book. This is a great book for getting your teen interested in reading.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No


2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A greatly loved and truly amazing book, we love DesireeJune 15, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Desiree (Hardcover)
My mother gave me her beaten up copy of Desiree. I did not havehigh expectations of it. However, once I finished it it became one ofmy most favorite books. Desiree Clary conveys her feelings in a realistic way. Her family and friends are a joy to read about. My mother and I wonder about what the true state of the Bernadotte's marrige was...For any other 13 year olds like myself out there, after reading this you'll know a chunk of French history-besides REALLY enjoying yourself.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No


5.0 out of 5 stars Human HistoryMay 22, 2000
This review is from: Desiree (Hardcover)
This is a fictionalized account of part of the life of Desiree Clary who was the fiancée of Napoleon and married General Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte who later became Queen of Sweden. History has never before been as human as it is here, told through the pages of Desiree's (fictitious) diary. It has a bittersweet quality since Desiree supports her ambitious and clever husband but wants nothing more than to be a simple housewife and mother of his children. She is repeatedly torn between her deep love for her husband and her nostalgic attachment to her first love, two of the most powerful men of her day. Ms. Selinko's book has obviously been very extensively researched since it contains a good deal of gossipy knowledge of the court of Napoleon, which brings vividly to life the various historical figures who feature in it. The author herself has acknowledged that she has in some places departed from recorded history but the personal touch is effective in making her characters feel human. History is life in this fascinating novel that transports the reader effortlessly into a world where people from dusty history books live and breathe. In spite of its more than 600 pages the novel seems too short and leaves the reader wishing that it went further into the life of Desiree. History teachers will love this book that unfailingly creates an immense curiosity about the Napoleonic era in its readers, but even the casual reader will be enthralled by this epic tale told on a personal level. Once read, this book can never be forgotten and, in fact, will be savored again and again. I love this book, I can't say how much.Thats why after that very correct and literary review ,I had to end with this...I love this book.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No


6 of 6 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome BookApril 10, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Desiree (Hardcover)
I'm 13 years old, and I found this book in my grandmother's basement. It was pretty beaten up,and looked VERY thick. But I forgot about all of that as soon as I started to read it. I read almost non-stop the entire weekend and blew off everything else. This is the most touching, beautiful book. I laughed and I cried over it. It made me feel everything from Desiree's point of view. Somebody HAS to reprint it and make it available to everyone. It's the best book I've ever read, including Gone With the Wind, which I didn't think anything could surpass. It is a MUST read for everyone.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No


1 of 2 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Desiree by AnneMarie SelinkoMarch 31, 2000
By 
E. K. Arroyo (Bethpage, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desiree (Hardcover)
I first read this book when I was about 12 and reread it about 10 more times throughout my life (I'm now in my late 30's), the last time being 2 years ago. It is an extremely well-written piece of biographical fiction and lets you empathize with all the characters, even Napoleon who is usually portrayed as a horrible person. I would like to own my own copy since I know I will want to read it more times in my life and may not find it easy to get a copy. Please let me know who has a paperback of the book and how much you'd like for it.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No


4 of 4 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!January 16, 2000
By 
This review is from: Desiree (Hardcover)
I'm 14 years old, and I read this book last summer, since then, I have been obsessed with the Napoleonic Era. Just recently I discovered that there was a movie made about this book, also called Desiree, starring Marlon Brando(made in 1954). However, the is no copy of this movie at my local videostore. If anyone has any information on how I can obtain this video it would be very appreciated! Email me at clc_85@hotmail.com
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No


5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous BookDecember 29, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Desiree (Hardcover)
Do you want your own copy of Desiree? I have read this book four times....each year that I was in High School. I am 38 now and still think of it often! To date, it is the best book I have ever read. My copy was inadvertantly sold in a garage sale when my mother sold our family home in 1980. I have been looking for a copy for years and recently discovered book auctions. As of this date, there are 2 copies available through Amazon's auctions and a few more copies through e-bay.com. I cannot believe how easy it was to obtain a copy for myself......especially after waiting so long! Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment